An ordinary household thermometer is available in almost every home. This is a fragile glass object containing a small amount of liquid metal inside that can cause serious harm to human health. Most often, it is such a thermometer that is the cause of most dangerous household situations associated with mercury. It is very easy to break it, but not everyone knows how to deal with the consequences of an accident. Not all owners of thermometers are aware of what to do if mercury gets on the skin. At the same time, having information about how to dispose of mercury at home will help prevent serious health problems for households if liquid metal leaks.
To protect yourself and your loved ones, do not underestimate the danger of mercury. If you want to take a child’s temperature, do not leave the room for a minute while the thermometer is under the baby’s arm. Handle this item with care, store it in a special case, away from children.
Unfortunately, many people try too late, or don’t ask at all, to find out what to do if mercury gets on their skin. Many behave in such a situation categorically wrong, which exacerbates the problem and increases the harm caused.
It should be noted:
As soon as a spill is detected in the dwelling, for example, a broken thermometer, the following measures should be taken immediately:
How to collect mercury: Read
Unfortunately, there is no well-functioning system for the collection and disposal of mercury in our country. Often, representatives of the Ministry of Emergency Situations simply refuse to leave the scene of the incident, citing the fact that they are unfamiliar with the procedure in this situation and are not equipped with the necessary tools. The right way to protect yourself and your loved ones is to immediately call the specialized city environmental service, whose specialists are guaranteed to help you.
What to do if mercury gets on the skin of a child or an adult? The most important thing is not to panic and stay calm. If the amount of mercury is small, then it cannot cause much harm. However, in large volumes, this metal is very dangerous, since it has a significant weight and the ability to push through the skin. Mercury particles must not be allowed to penetrate into the layers of the epidermis, as they are washed out very poorly..
Children’s skin is much more sensitive than adult skin, so it is necessary to act immediately. Rinse thoroughly with cool, strong water, all possible contamination, and then treat the areas with a soap and soda solution. Runs several times.
Even if you are sure that you have collected all the balls of mercury in the apartment, be sure to call the special service. The fact is that liquid metal often penetrates into the most inaccessible places in the house (crevices, openings, chips), and you simply cannot detect them on your own. Demercurization specialists will carefully process every centimeter of your home and 100% clean it of traces of mercury.