If the thermometer breaks and mercury spills, the question arises:
“How to collect mercury correctly?”
1. Immediately withdraw from the room where the thermometer crashed, all the people there. This primarily applies to children and the elderly. Don’t forget about pets.
2. Limit the location of the “accident” as mercury sticks to surfaces and can be easily spread on the soles of shoes (animal paws) to other areas of the room. To avoid the spread of mercury outside the contaminated area, demercurization (removal of mercury and its compounds by physical-chemical or mechanical methods) is carried out from the periphery towards the center of pollution.
3. Call the City Mercury Service in St. Petersburg and call an Expert to eliminate contamination, by phone: +7 (812) 309-13-43 or +7 (812) 649-98-03
If the outside air temperature is much lower than indoors, it is necessary to open the windows, because at low temperatures, the release of mercury vapor decreases. However, before you collect the mercury, a draft is completely unacceptable, because because of it the mercury balls will “scatter” around the room and break into small particles that will settle on the walls and furniture.
Therefore, isolate the room as much as possible – close all doors tightly.
Attention self-collection of mercury is dangerous! No home remedies block the toxic mercury fumes at all! No matter how many masks you put on, you are absolutely defenseless. Only special protection “from MERCURY” is able to block the access of mercury vapor.
How to protect yourself from mercury correctly: Read…
The place where the mercury crumbled must be highlighted. For this purpose, a flashlight or a table electric lamp is suitable. To ensure maximum visibility of all droplets for their high-quality collection, place the backlight on the side.
Now the most important thing is to remove the metallic mercury thoroughly and quickly..
It is more convenient to collect mercury balls in the following way: use one piece of paper or foil in the form of a scoop, and roll the balls onto a paper scoop with a soft brush or other sheet.
Do not use a broom or a hard brush for this purpose, which will make the poisonous mercury balls even smaller..
You can use a piece of cotton wool soaked in a solution of potassium permanganate (0.2%) to collect mercury. Gently shake off the collected mercury from a piece of paper or cotton wool into a prepared glass container filled with a solution of potassium permanganate or simply cold water. -Then you need to draw smaller balls into the prepared rubber bulb or syringe.
– Stick very small droplets on adhesive tape or adhesive plaster.
– Sprinkle the mercury that has clogged into the cracks of the floor with sand, with which it will be easily swept with a brush onto paper.
– If the floor is wooden, and there are gaps between the boards, it is likely that a few silvery drops “hid” in shelters and at room temperature will do their dirty work. In this case, the owner will have to deal with unscheduled repairs of the apartment – there is no other way to get rid of the uninvited chemical guest.
In a jar of water, place sand containing mercury particles, a rubber bulb (or syringe) and mercury from a broken thermometer. Seal the jar tightly and keep it away from heating appliances.
It is very difficult to collect mercury if the thermometer is broken on a sofa, carpet, or other porous or fleecy surface. In this case, it is better to call professionals for demercurization (removal of mercury). This is the easiest and smartest way.! «Mercury expert»
If you stepped on mercury, clean and rinse the shoe soles with a strong, almost black solution of potassium permanganate.
If the collection of mercury is delayed, then every 15 minutes take a break and go out into the fresh air.
Be sure to familiarize yourself with the consequences and signs of poisoning: Read
By popular demand of people who do not have the opportunity to call the mercury service for verification. We have created a mercury contamination test. Now everyone can roughly estimate the degree of mercury contamination depending on various situations. And also following the instructions to correctly eliminate the consequences of a broken thermometer.