If you are reading this article not out of interest, but because your thermometer has crashed right now,
The first tip is not to panic.
Mercury is a dangerous substance, but if you take all the necessary actions, nothing terrible will happen..
A serious problem should be solved by professionals!
Do not try to clean the place where the thermometer crashed on your own. Remember – in your room there is POISON 1st hazard category, the removal of which can only be entrusted to professionals of a licensed mercury service. The speed of elimination no longer plays a role. Therefore, the only thing that needs to be done immediately is to leave the mercury spill and block it. Partial purification in this case will not help, and it is impossible to see all the foci of infection that require demercurization. Our specialists use specialized equipment that searches for mercury, which allows us to identify all foci and completely eliminate them.. By calling the service «mercury expert», it is necessary to lower the temperature in the room below 18 degrees Celsius, turn off the power sources, open the window (if the outside temperature is higher, this cannot be done) without creating a draft, remove the elderly, children and pets from the room in which the thermometer has broken.
By calling the service «mercury expert», it is necessary to lower the temperature in the room below 18 degrees Celsius, turn off the power sources, open the window (if the outside temperature is higher, this cannot be done) without creating a draft, remove the elderly, children and pets from the room in which the thermometer has broken.
In this case, some actions cannot be carried out in any case..
If you still try to eliminate the consequences on your own (it’s impossible to do it completely on your own) or before the specialists arrive, decide to “prepare” the place where the thermometer crashed – there are some actions that cannot be performed, as they will only worsen the situation:
1. Using a vacuum cleaner is the worst option. In this case, mercury will turn into a suspension of tiny particles, which are very difficult to remove, and the rate of transformation into steam will increase several times.;
2. Creating drafts before the substance has been removed from one side of the closed space increases the concentration of mercury vapor, but the draft will cause the substance in the gaseous state to spread to other rooms; Small balls of mercury with gusts of wind will scatter throughout the premises;
3. Sweeping the place where the thermometer crashed will only spread the substance throughout the room, reducing the volume of the balls. This will not only make it more difficult to remove the toxic metal, but also accelerate its evaporation – the total surface area will increase, and more mercury vapor will begin to enter the air.;
4. There is no difference in throwing the collected balls into the trash can, the sewerage chute, in which place the evaporation will occur in the room, but if you simply take the collected mercury out of your home, other unsuspecting people will be in danger;
5. Wash clothes, shoes, fabrics contaminated with mercury in a washing machine;
6. Wipe the floor on which the thermometer crashed with a wet rag – mercury cannot be removed in this way, and the balls will significantly decrease in size and harmful substances will begin to evaporate faster; It is necessary to remove pollution with adhesive tape very carefully, without sudden movements, otherwise the substance will scatter into small particles throughout the room;
7. Kneeling, leaning on the elbows, the substance can be located not only in the place where the thermometer crashed, therefore, it becomes possible to contaminate clothing with poison and direct skin contact with the substance;
8. Trying to clean on your own small particles, invisible to the eye, fall under the baseboards, into the cracks of the floor covering, on the fabric. As a result of such “cleaning”, mercury will remain in the room and will continue to evaporate, as a result, everyone living in an apartment or house will continue to inhale poisoned air.
First of all, after the thermometer has broken, you should call the city environmental service “Expert mercury” in St. Petersburg and Leningrad. Regions – a company professionally engaged in the removal of this toxic substance (demercurization). During the conversation, you will receive specific recommendations on how to behave and what to do before the arrival of specialists.
After all visible balls have been removed, surface treatment should be carried out. For this, a disinfecting solution is prepared from 20 grams of potassium permanganate, diluted in 10 liters of water. All surfaces must be treated with this solution, and a spray gun is used for cracks.
When all the recommendations for eliminating the consequences have already been fulfilled, after the thermometer has broken, the things used in this case must be disposed of. Mercury is handled by the service. All waste must be handed over to the Expert who arrived at the place of mercury contamination to eliminate the threat. Or hand over to mercury collection points: reception points addresses.
However, such actions can only be recommended as temporary. It is impossible to identify by simple inspection the places where the remains of the substance have been preserved, such elements will continue to evaporate, and you and your loved ones will continue to inhale toxic fumes. A complete cleaning can only be carried out by a special service that uses special equipment, both for cleaning and for detecting outbreaks..
At the same time, it should be taken into account that services Ministry of Emergency SituationsС and other government agencies go only to crowded places (metro, schools, offices, hospitals, etc.) At the same time, infected premises are blocked from several hours to several weeks.
Those who have a broken thermometer in the apartment do not go free of charge, but are limited only to recommendations by phone. In most cases, doing a disservice with dangerous advice. For example:
“Vacuum and ventilate…” – DANGEROUS! All mercury is sprayed all over the rooms around!
“…wash with bleach…” – Equivalent to water. Wash something and get away!
“…sprinkle with sand…” – With the same success, you can still cast a spell and dance with a tambourine!
“…there is almost no mercury in thermometers now” – The principle of operation of the thermometer is based on the properties of mercury!
Assessing the degree of mercury contamination, and the consequences of a broken thermometer, can only be done by examining the premises for the presence of mercury. This examination can be carried out exclusively on a special analyzer. Also, with the help of this device, you can find all sources of infection. Even if something rolled somewhere and all particles invisible to the eye.
By popular demand of people who do not have the opportunity to call the mercury service for verification. We have created a mercury contamination test. Now everyone can roughly estimate the degree of mercury contamination depending on various situations. And also following the instructions to correctly eliminate the consequences of a broken thermometer.